Lets talk about apple cider shelf life and all things relate to. Apple cider is a great refreshing drink to enjoy especially in autumn. But if you keep it too long, it will deteriorate over time. So, if anyone asks can apple cider gone bad? Yes, it gets worse over time. But you can extend its shelf life.
If stored in the refrigerator, unopened apple cider can last up to several months. But the apple cider that has been opened in the bottle, it will only last a few weeks. If you have opened it but don’t want to enjoy it yet, then the way to extend the apple cider shelf life is to freeze it. Frozen apple cider can last in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Actually, it does not have an expiration date, but we can see from several signs and indications that it is already spoiled. You can see a change in color, or taste and smell.
The taste of fresh or freshly squeezed apple cider is sweet and refreshing. As it ages, it is begins to ferment and become alcoholic and the alcohol content will be higher as it ferments. The taste of apple cider will also be more sour and tart.
What Happens If You Drink Expired Apple Cider?
What if you drink expired apple cider? Can this harm your body.
Remember, if it is not stored properly, it will spoil easily. The bad to apple cider can occur due to bacteria, yeast or mold growing in it. When it tastes sour and doesn’t taste good, then it’s likely that it’s damaged or spoiled.
If you drink spoiled apple cider because you thought it was fresh and it turned out to be rotten, you are less likely to get sick. But you feel something that is not good and sometimes it can cause a normal stomachache. So, not dangerous or fatal. But you don’t need to taste spoiled cider, it’s very unpleasant, believe me!
How Long Can You Store Apple Cider in the Pantry?
Unopened cider will last longer and it can be stored at room temperature or in your cupboard for up to 6 months. But if it has been opened, then the it is can only be stored in the refrigerator to prevent the rapid growth of bacteria. Storing opened apple cider in the refrigerator makes it last only 2 weeks.
But if you want to store that has been opened for a longer time, then the method is to freeze it. You can freeze cider even after opening for 6 months.
Here are some tips for storing apple cider:
– Store apple cider in a cool, dark place, do not store it in the sun or other heat sources.
– Store it in an airtight container, this is important to prevent it from absorbing odors from other foods.
– If you are freezing cider, be sure to leave some headroom (top of the container) as cider can expand when frozen.
How to Tell if an Apple Cider has Gone Bad?
To prevent yourself from drinking spoiled apple cider, knowing the indications of spoilage is a must. There are several indications that your apple cider has gone bad, including:
- When the cider has a sour smell and smells of vinegar
- There is a change in color, so it becomes darker than usual
- Presence of mold and sediment in the apple cider
- The taste of apple cider is sour and not good at all.
How to Say Spoilers Apple Cider Taste Like?
Do you want to taste the taste of spoiled? Actually no one wants to feel it. But we need to know how spoiled apple cider tastes, so that we know that it has gone bad and not pick it up again.
Here are some typical flavors of apple cider that has gone bad, including:
– Sour. This taste occurs because the sugar in apple cider has been fermented, so the result is acetic acid. So when you drink it, if it tastes sour and like vinegar, it means it’s spoiled.
– Vinegary. When the cider has fermented, it will produce more acetic acid, this will give it a vinegary taste.
– Cloudy. Cloudy apple cider indicates that it has started its decay period, it will look like a cloud or cloudy.
– Foul odor. Apple cider that has been spoiled will also taste very bad, have a pungent smell, this is caused by the growth of bacteria in it as a result of the length of time it has been stored or because of improper storage.
Should Apple Cider be Refrigerated?
Apple cider that has not been pasteurized must be stored in a cool place and the refrigerator is the best choice, this is to prevent bacterial growth in it. Pasteurization is a heating process that kills the bacteria present in it. So, if the apple cider has been pasteurized, you can store it at room temperature.
But if you’ve opened the bottle, you can leave it for a while at room temperature but storing it at room temperature is a good idea to extend apple cider shelf life.
If it’s been pasteurized, your apple cider can last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. If you want a longer shelf life, then freezing is the best alternative.
How Long Do Apple Cider Last in the Freezer?
Storing it in the freezer will last up to 6 months, but the taste and texture start to degrade past 2 or 3 months of freezing.
Even if there are changes, but this is still good and not spoiled. This happens because of the freezing alone.
If you want to freeze cider, you can simply pour it in an airtight container or in a freezer-safe bag. Leave the top of the bag about 1 inch because the cider floats during freezing.
You can provide a label or the date you started freezing, this aims to easily identify if your apple cider has been stored for how long.
When you want to use it, you have to melt it first. The best way to thaw apple cider is to let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. If you are in a hurry, you can thaw it in the microwave or in cold water. When it melts, stir again to mix all the ingredients together.
What Makes Apple Cider Go Bad?
Why does apple cider go bad, these are several factors that influence it or make apple cider spoiled.
– Exposure to air: If exposed to air, apple cider will be easily damaged and this is a fermentation process that turns the sugar into acetic acid. Thus, for good storage, it is recommended to use an airtight container.
– Exposure to bacteria: If the storage is not correct, then the apple cider can be exposed to bacteria, bacteria cause apple cider to spoil quickly, especially if it is not stored in the refrigerator.
– Heat source: If it is exposed to a heat source, it will quickly spoil. So, to extend the apple cider shelf life, you should store it in a cool, dark place and away from sources of heat, don’t forget to use an airtight container if you have opened the original packaging.
What is the Best Way to Keep Your Apple Cider Fresh?
We all want apple cider to last a long time. So, follow this guide to storing apple cider so that it lasts longer.
If it is has been opened, then cool it or store it in the refrigerator to prevent fermentation so that bacteria does not grow and is not easily spoiled.
Store apple cider in an airtight container. This is important so that the cider does not absorb odors from the outside. If you don’t use an airtight container, it will be easy for it to be exposed to oxygen and start its fermentation and cause it to change quickly.
Do not store opened cider for more than 2 weeks in the refrigerator. That is, you have to spend it before passing the 2 week shelf life. After that, it started to lose quality and it started to taste bad. If you want to store cider for a longer period, you can freeze it and this makes it last up to 6 months.
What Can You Do with Old Apple Cider?
If your cider is old, what can you do with it. Here are some ideas for making use of old cider instead of throwing it away.
- Cooking with it: Aged apple cider can be used in cooked dishes, you can use it in muffins, apple crisp. Can also be used as a glaze for chicken meat.
- Make apple cider vinegar: If your apple cider is aged, you can ferment it to turn it into apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is a versatile liquid that also has rich health benefits. You can use apple cider vinegar as a salad dressing, sauce or as a marinade.
- Freezing it: If you have old cider, you can preserve it by freezing it in the freezer and use it later. As we said, frozen apple cider can last in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- Give to neighbors: Old apple cider that you no longer want to use, you can always give it away to your friends, or relatives. They can use it as we have mentioned above.
Symptoms If You Drank Spoiled Apple Cider?
If you drink the bad one, the symptoms that appear can vary from one to another. Among the symptoms that may arise from drinking stale apple cider are:
- Headaches, and
- Feel cramps in the stomach.
Such is the explanation about apple cider, starting from whether it can be spoiled, indications if it is spoiled, the effects of drinking spoiled, how to store it and about how to extend apple cider shelf life and more, I hope this article is useful.