One of your favorite Thai dishes is Cry Baby Noodles. If that’s true, you have to know the recipe so you can make it yourself at home. Here we are trying to share the Cry Baby Noodles recipe which is very popular in Thailand and is now a food that many people enjoy. We will also include some valuable information which you will really like.
Before we start discussing this recipe, let’s first dive deeper into what Cry Baby Noodles are.
What Is Cry Baby Noodles?
This is spicy and aromatic Thai food, cooked by combining many ingredients that are believed to excite the taste buds. It is a Thai thick vermicelli dish mixed with thick Cry Baby Sauce. It is an extraordinary combination of several ingredients such as XO sauce, oyster sauce, soybean paste, fish sauce, palm sugar, garlic, ginger and warm water.
These noodles are cooked by frying using a mixture of dried fish tofu, dried shrimp that has been soaked, using Chinese sausage so that it displays a delicious and tempting taste. There are additional scrambled eggs to give a delicious impression. At the final stage, the noodles are sprinkled with onions to increase the freshness and tempting appearance.
What do Cry Baby Noodles taste like? This scrambled noodle dish has a combination of spicy taste, harmonious umami, savory and makes it a delicious meal.
The Ingredients and Equipment Needs For Cry Baby Noodles
- Thick Rice Noodles: You need to prepare 1 1/2 cups of Thai Thick Rice Noodles, cooked. This Thai rice provides maximum results for your food.
- Fish Tofu: Prepare 1/2 cup dried fish tofu, you can use OR-RIGHT weilong fish tofu or you can also use what you have.
- Egg: Use one egg, preferably a large one.
- Dried Shrimp: You also need to prepare 1/2 cup of dried shrimp. You can use the President or Gourmet Jelly Beans brand for the best results from your recipe.
- Chinese Sausage: Also prepare 1/2 cup Chinese sausage. You can use any brand, but we use TastePadThai or Wing Fung Hong brand Chinese sausage.
- Oil: We use canola oil, you need to prepare 4 tablespoons of canola oil. For canola oil, you should use the Kirkland Signature brand.
- Spring Onion: Also prepare 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped chives to sprinkle on top when finished.
For Cry Baby Sauce
Ingredients for making cry baby sauce:
- XO Sauce: Prepare 2 tbsp of Xo Sauce. Take Lee Kum Kee brand for best results.
- Soybean Paste (miso): Use 2 tbsp of soybean paste (Miso). We use the TETSUJIN or MIKO brand.
- Oyster Sauce: Also prepare 1 tbsp of oyster sauce. We use the Lee Kum Kee brand.
- Fish Sauce: You need 1 tbsp of fish sauce. Use the Thai Taste brand or use whatever fish sauce you have.
- Soy Sauce: Prepare 1 tbsp of soy sauce. We use Kikkoman or Heinz brands.
- Palm Sugar: We also need 1 tbsp of palm sugar. Use Wholesome brand palm sugar or you can use any other brand you like.
- Ginger and Garlic: You need 1 tsp of freshly grated garlic and 1 tsp of freshly grated ginger.
- Water: Prepare 3 tbsp of warm water to mix the sauce.
To make it easier for you to follow the Cry Baby Noodles Recipe, there are several equipment you need, including: Stove, Mixing Bowl, Measuring Spoon, Measuring Cup, Knife, Cutting Board, Wor or Pan and Stirring Spoon.
We already know everything, including the main ingredients, the ingredients for the sauce and some of the equipment. Now let’s see how to make Thai food Cry Baby Noodles.
Prepare the Cry Baby Sauce:
Take a bowl and mix the XO soy sauce, shrimp paste, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, grated ginger, grated garlic, fish sauce and warm water. Stir everything until completely combined and inseparable.
Stir-Fry the Ingredients:
Heat a frying pan over medium heat, use two tablespoons of canola oil, stir-fry soaked dried shrimp, steamed Chinese chickpeas, and stir-fry together with dried fish tofu for a few minutes until it gives off a fragrant aroma, remove the ingredients from the pan and set aside.
Cook the Cry Baby Noodles:
In the same skillet add the remaining canola oil, heat over medium – high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of cry baby sauce and stir-fry for a while or until it emits a fragrant aroma.
Add the Rice Noodles and Egg:
The next step is to add the eggs and rice noodles. Start by adding the vermicelli that has been coated with cry baby sauce, and push the noodles to one side of the pan, now in the same pan you can fry the eggs. Crack the eggs into the empty space in the pan, and scramble quickly until cooked.
Incorporate the Ingredients and More Sauce:
When the eggs are cooked, you can mix them with noodles, add stir-fried dried shrimp, Chinese sausage and dried fish tofu. Stir until all ingredients are mixed evenly. Add two tablespoons or 3 tablespoons of cry baby sauce, this is important to add flavor.
Sprinkle the chopped onion over the noodles while stirring evenly. Bright spring onions can add a fresh aroma and increase appetite.
Serve and Enjoy
Now move the Cry Baby Noodles to a serving plate, enjoy as a standalone meal or as a meal paired with vegetables, protein for added nutrition and taste. Serve while still hot to get maximum results.
Variations And Tips For Cry Baby Noodles Recipe
Variations of Cry Baby Noodles
- Vegetarian Cry Baby Noodles: If you want to make a vegetarian version, then you can do it simply by omitting the dried fish, shrimp, and Chinese sausage. You can add various peppers, vegetables, mushrooms, peas, or add baby corn. Everything is mixed with baby cry sauce and noodles.
- Spicy Cry Baby Noodles: For a spicier version you can prepare cry baby noodles you can easily add finely chopped red chili peppers or a dash of chili oil. Adjust the amount according to the portion and enjoy with a spicy taste.
- Seafood Cry Baby Noodles: There is also a seafood version of cry baby noodles. For this you can add various foods from the sea for a seafood touch. For example, adding shrimp, cooked scallops, squid, this variation can add to the enjoyment and taste of the sea.
Soak the dried shrimp properly: To keep dried shrimp soft, soak them overnight in water. Tender shrimp can combine well with other ingredients.
Customize the Cry Baby Sauce: Adjust the spices and ingredients for the crying baby sauce properly according to your preferences. For example, add palm sugar to make it sweeter, or add a little soy sauce for a more savory version. So, experiment a lot to find a balance of flavors that suits your taste.
Use high heat for stir-frying: When sautéing consider using high heat, this aims to achieve maximum smoky flavor. Also, it can cook noodles and other ingredients quickly. Apart from that, using high heat can also prevent the noodles from getting soggy.
What To Serve With Cry Baby Noodles?
Cry baby noodles can be enjoyed alone without the addition of other foods, but can also be enjoyed and paired with other foods.
If you want to enjoy it with other foods, consider enjoying it with some of the following dishes:
– Fresh Salads
To balance the spicy taste, you can add vegetables to cry baby noodles, add crunchy salad, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, and tangy vinaigrette which can add freshness and crunch to this Thai food.
– Steamed Vegetables
Also prepare steamed vegetables to enjoy with Baby cry noodles, you can add steamed broccoli, steamed carrots, peas, bok choy and various other crunchy vegetables.
– Thai Spring Rolls
One food that pairs well with Cry baby Noodles is Thai spring rolls to add deliciousness and make a more delicious appetizer. These spring rolls are filled with fresh vegetables, spices, or even tofu, this will provide a delicious contrast of taste.
– Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
Serve also with a bowl of Tom Kha Gai along with Cry Baby Naoodles, this provides a calming and aromatic atmosphere with your noodle dish. This is a Thai coconut soup with mushrooms, lemongrass, chicken, and galangal. Spices provide balance to the spicy taste.
It is important to pay attention to adjusting portions and accompanying them with various foods that suit your tastes.
- 1 ½ cups A Taste Of Thai Thick Rice Noodles, Cooked
- ½ cup Weilong Dried Fish Tofu, Recommended
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ cup Gurmet jelly Beans Dried Shrimp (soaked overnight)
- ½ cup Chinese Sausage (steamed)
- 4 tbsp Canola Oil
- 2 tbsp Spring Onion, Chopped
Cry Baby Sauce:
- 2 tbsp XO Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Miko Soybean Paste (miso), Recommended
- 1 tsp Ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Palm Sugar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic (grated)
- Prepare the Cry Baby Sauce: Take a bowl and mix the XO soy sauce, shrimp paste, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, grated ginger, grated garlic, fish sauce and warm water. Stir everything until completely combined and inseparable.
- Stir-Fry the Ingredients: Heat a frying pan over medium heat, use two tablespoons of canola oil, stir-fry soaked dried shrimp, steamed Chinese chickpeas, and stir-fry together with dried fish tofu for a few minutes until it gives off a fragrant aroma, remove the ingredients from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the Cry Baby Noodles: In the same skillet add the remaining canola oil, heat over medium - high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of cry baby sauce and stir-fry for a while or until it emits a fragrant aroma.
- Add the Rice Noodles and Egg: The next step is to add the eggs and rice noodles. Start by adding the vermicelli that has been coated with cry baby sauce, and push the noodles to one side of the pan, now in the same pan you can fry the eggs. Crack the eggs into the empty space in the pan, and scramble quickly until cooked.
When the eggs are cooked, you immediately mix them with noodles, dry stir-fried shrimp, Chinese sausage, dried fish tofu, mix all the ingredients evenly and add 2 or 3 tablespoons of cry baby sauce. This must be done so that it feels even more tempting.
Serving: 3cups, Calories: 828kcal (41%), Protein: 33g (66%), Carbohydrates: 78.3g (26%), Fat: 42.7g (66%), Saturated Fat: 6g (38%), Calcium: 356mg (36%), Potassium: 687mg (20%), Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 264mg (88%), Sodium: 2927mg (127%), Sugar: 6.2g (7%), Fiber: 4.5g (19%), Iron: 4mg (22%)
Frequently Asked Questions About Cry Baby Noodles Recipe
How long to cook Thai Thick vermicelli for Cry baby noodles?
The time needed for cooking is 8 to 10 minutes, but it can vary depending on the fire you use. For best results, just follow the instructions on the packaging.
Can we use other noodles besides Thai thick rice noodles?
Yes, you are free to use the vermicelli you like, although officially this recipe uses thick Thai rice vermicelli. You can express to use thin vermicelli or egg vermicelli and so on.
Can I prepare the Cry Baby Sauce in advance?
Yes, to save time you should prepare the cry baby sauce first. Just mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl first, put it in an airtight container for future storage, store it in the refrigerator.
Can I make Cry Baby Noodles ahead of time?
In fact, to get optimal taste, noodles must be enjoyed immediately after cooking. However, you can prepare certain components first. Prepare Chinese sausage, chop onions, stir all ingredients before using in noodles.
Can I freeze leftovers of Cry Baby Noodles?
Cry Baby Noodles are very delicious to enjoy while they are still fresh, but if you freeze them, of course the taste will change and not be the same as when they are fresh. So, our advice is to immediately enjoy what you have cooked, you can freeze the rest and enjoy it tomorrow or a few days later. Cry baby noodles can last in the cupboard in an airtight container for 2-3 days. But if you freeze it in the freezer, the shelf life will be longer, even several months.
But remember, if you have defrosted it, it must be eaten completely and cannot be frozen a second time.