Focaccie is an Italian pizza that is round, square or rectangular in shape. Also, Focaccie is said to be a flat yeasted Italian bread baked in the oven. Usually served as a side dish or sandwich bread.
Let’s get to know Focaccie further
Focaccie consists of several variations and is spread throughout Italy, some are soft and there are also crunchy Focaccie. Some are thick and some are thin and of course you can make this bread at home but with a little patience.
First, mix the dough in the morning, and keep the dough rising during the day, and you can bake it in the evening or before dinner.
Collect ripe sourdough starter, salt, olive oil, you can use a home oven. Olive oil, a high quality seasonal vegetable can always be used to make it. Use quality oil, the sign is that it is slightly aromatic with balance and fruity flavors.
To get good Focaccie results, try to use the following formula:
Mix 30% protein rich flour, 70% all purpose flour. This watery dough is strengthened with a structure of 30% high protein flour. According to your choice, sourdough Focaccie can be complemented, you can complete it with ingredients such as rosemary, pitted kalamata olives, chopped cherry tomatoes, olive oil or coarse sea salt.
Then, topped with Ligurian Focaccie, and topped with salt water and sprinkled with sea salt.
Some ideas for different focaccia flavours:
To produce Focaccie with different flavors, you can use oregano, capers, garlic, tomatoes and olive oil.
Another great idea for Focaccie is with sliced Yukon Gold Potatoes, accompanied by fresh thyme, coarse sea salt, and olive oil. Sometimes we can also use sliced onions, soaked in olive oil, chopped tomatoes and salted olives. Also use grated hard cheese, rosemary and olive oil.
A Simple Sourdough Focaccia Recipe:
Types of equipment needed:
Prepare a square or round pan for baking the sourdough focaccia. It’s best to use a fairly deep baking dish so the focaccia won’t dry out quickly. The pan you prepare must be non-stick, this pan will conduct heat. If the heat is right, the focaccia can produce a nice crust on the naturally leavened focaccia.
To prepare focaccia, follow this method
- Mix the dough with your hands, you can also use a mixer or by folding the dough.
- Add both types of flour, ripe sourdough starter, water, salt, into the mixer bowl accompanied by the dough hook.
- Save the olive oil for last when combining
- Make the mixer speed to 1 to mix the dough for 1-2 minutes until completely mixed.
- Mix for 5 minutes until the dough is strong enough
- Huddles close to the dough hook.
- Let the focaccia dough rest in a mixing bowl for 10 minutes, and set the mixer speed to 1.
- Pour the olive oil in the bowl slowly while continuing to stir.
- When the dough has absorbed the oil, increase the speed to 2 and run the mixer for 1 or 2 minutes or until the dough comes together.
Remember, after the mixture is stirred, it will look very wet and thick. So, your task is to add more flour, after a few sets of stretching and fermentation, it will be strong again.
The Process of Fermentation:
- Place the dough on a large fermentation container and cover. When you close it, wait another 2 hours.
- Stretch the dough to 4 sets and start folding it 30 minutes after stretching. Stretch the dough every 30 minutes.
Proof for the next 4 hours:
- Brush olive oil on a rectangular pan or frying pan or a silicone mat.
- Store the dough in a fairly deep rectangular pan
- Pour enough oil into the pan so that the focaccia doesn’t stick when baked.
- Focaccia dough will prove for 4 hours at 76-78°F or 24-25°C. Remember that this period is flexible because it depends on temperature.
The pot should be opened every 30 minutes for the first hour. Then stretch the dough with wet palms, stretching it until it meets the edge of the pan. Cover the pan and wait for the next 4 hours.
- Wait for the dough for 2 hours
- Cover the rectangular baking dish with an airtight lid.
- Store in the refrigerator
- The next day, take the dough out of the refrigerator.
- Wait until the mixture is at room temperature
- Check that the rectangular tin is installed correctly inside the Dough Proofer.
- Use Reusable plastic to cover it after keeping it inside the proofer.
- Set the temperature at 78°F or 25°C, until ready to bake the focaccia cake.
Prediction of the sourdough focaccia:
The dough has been ready for 30 minutes beforehand, reheat the oven to 232C, place the rack at the bottom.
Top and Bake the focaccia
- Now continue with top and bake as in the method below.
- The dough should feel soft against your fingers
- Spray 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the dough
- Spray coarse sea salt with herbs over the dough
- If necessary, you can use other toppings on top of the dough
- Press gently into the dough
- Bake the focaccia in the oven at 450°F or 232°C.
- Look at the top and it should be brown
- Wait about 30 minutes
- Focus on taking care of the last five minutes
- You can leave it for a little longer so that the color darkens a little
- Cool the focaccia for a few minutes in the pan
- Cool the focaccia on a cooling rack
When it comes out of the oven it is very warm and best on the day of baking. But it will stay good for several days if stored wrapped in aluminum foil.
If you llike Bread, let see other type bread below
- Ballerina Farm Sourdough Recipe: Sourdough Bread by Ballerina Farm
- Saj Bread or Markouk: Lebanese Food
- Frozen Calamari in Air Fryer [Breaded]
Nutritional value of Focaccie:
Every 100 grams of Focaccie contains the following nutrients:
- Contains 250 calories
- Total fat content, including saturated fat, is 8 gm
- Cholesterol free
- Contains 560 gm of sodium
- Potassium as much as 115 gm
- Focaccie also contains 10 gm of protein
- Carbohydrates (including dietary fiber) are 35 gm
Focaccie not only contains these nutrients, it also contains a number of other minerals. Among them contain iron, magnesium, calcium, but do not contain vitamins D and C.