Popsicles are a frozen treat that many people whether kids or adults enjoy. For most, this ice pop is very refreshing whether enjoyed in winter or summer. But have you ever been curious about the popsicles shelf life or can they expire, and what are the indications that popsicles are no longer suitable for eating.
In this article we will explain everything related to popsicles. Especially about whether popsicles expire, their shelf life, how to know if they have gone bad, and so on.
Does Popsicles Expire?
A short answer, this frozen treat can expire just like any other food including candy smarties. However, how long popsicles last, it is depends on several things, including the brand of popsicles, storage conditions, and the ingredients used to make this ice cream.
Popsicles that are sold in the market usually have a printed date for the expiration date on the package. Actually, this date shows how long Popsicles can be consumed fresh, and still have good quality. So, to feel the delicious taste of popsicles, you have to taste it before the date stated.
The Average Shelf-life for most Popsicle Brands
The popsicles shelf life also varies depending on the type of itself, depending on the ingredients used and how they are stored.
Below is a list of the shelf life of popsicles according to the brand.
- Popsicle – This is the most popular brand, the shelf life in the freezer can range from 18 months to 24 months.
- Klondike – it offers a wide variety of frozen food, including popsicles. The shelf life of popsicles from this brand can range from 12 to 18 months if stored properly according to storage recommendations.
- Outshine – They make ice pop using actual fruit and fruit juice. The shelf life of their products including popsicles is 12 months in the freezer.
- Fruttare – Early brand offers a variety of delicious frozen foods, including popsicles. They make popsicles from real fruit. Food products from this brand have a shorter shelf life of 9 to 12 months when stored at the recommended temperature.
- GoodPop – This brand is also famous for its ice pop. Products from them have a shelf life of 12 months in the freezer. One of the products is popsicles and has a shelf life of one year when stored in the freezer.
This popsicles shelf life list is only an estimate, so each of these ice pops can have a different shelf life because it is influenced by many factors. Always check the expiration date of popsicles before you consume them. This is important to ensure you get the true taste and texture of the popsicle.
Do Popsicles Go Bad in the Freezer?
If you don’t store them properly, it can go bad even if you store it in the freezer. There are several things that cause popsicles to break down over time.
– If you don’t put it in an airtight container when storing them in the freezer, they will be exposed to air and moisture, which will now cause ice crystals to form and freezer burn. Popsicles that stored incorrectly will change their color and texture and taste.
– If you store it in too warm a temperature, they may melt and re-freeze, this can also cause ice crystals to form and affect their texture.
– Keeping popsicles in the freezer too long can cause a loss of flavor and frozen treats can go stale. Indeed, in the freezer every food will freeze and last quite a long time, but each of your food has its own shelf life. For example popsicles, it has a shelf life between 18 months – 24 months in the freezer.
So, to avoid mistakes in storing, put them in an airtight container or in a freeze-resistant bag. Use your freezer temperature at 0°F (-18°C) or below. Our advice, you should consume popsicles or ice pop a few months after purchase to ensure freshness and enjoyment.
How Long Can Popsicles Stay Open?
Popsicles that are opened will be easily damaged due to exposure to air, heat and humidity. The difference is that if you haven’t opened it, the popsicles will last longer.
Leaving your ice pop at room temperature for two hours, this is the same as you allowing bacteria to grow, and you have to throw it away to prevent contamination with bacteria in the food. At room temperature, bacteria can quickly grow in something that is moist.
If you take the popsicles out of the freezer but they haven’t thaw, then if you want you can put them back in the freezer to extend the shelf life of the popsicles. However, if it’s melted, then you have to spend it and don’t re-freeze it.
Homemade Vs Store-bought Popsicles?
Apparently, the shelf life of homemade popsicles is shorter, this is due to the ingredients used. As a rule, homemade products do not contain preservatives.
So, unlike the shelf life of popsicles you buy at the store which are made with various preservatives that can extend their shelf life. The use of additives can prevent the growth of bacteria and microorganisms so they can last longer.
The shelf life of store-bought popsicles varies depending on the brand. This is as we have mentioned on the shelf life list above.
So the shelf life comparison between homemade vs store popsicles is on their shelf life. Then, even though the shelf life of homemade popsicles is shorter, they are healthier because they use natural ingredients. Then, the best choice is homemade popsicles, not only delicious but also healthy. But you can’t keep it too long.
The impact of the ingredients on the shelf-life?
The ingredients used in making popsicles can affect their shelf life. Some ingredients tend to extend the shelf life and some ingredients tend to speed up the spoilage of your ice pop.
The use of natural ingredients such as the use of fresh fruit in popsicles. Fresh fruit naturally contains natural enzymes and sugars that can speed up the breakdown of these frozen foods. So, to last longer, you should immediately store it in the freezer after making it.
Then in making popsicles there is the use of sugar, here sugar functions as a sweetener and preservative which can prevent the growth of bacteria and microorganisms. However, using too much sugar can make it too brittle and hard.
Meanwhile, store-bought popsicles generally use preservatives and food stabilizers so they can extend the popsicles shelf life. The use of additives can prevent the growth of bacteria but these substances make your food not as healthy as you would like.
What happens if you eat expired popsicles?
Eating expired popsicles can cause some possible side effects, but they are not fatal.
The expiration date printed on the popsicles is an indication of their quality. If you consume it after the stated date, you can feel a change in taste, appearance and texture but it’s not harmful. But if it is long past its expiration date, then you should throw it away rather than risk your health.
Among the possibilities that occur when eating expired ice pop are dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea or food poisoning.
Check out more:
>> How Long Do Plantain Chips Last?
How to Tell If a Popsicle has Gone Bad?
It’s important to know the signs of spoilage on popsicles, so you don’t eat the expired ones. There are several ways to tell if your popsicles have gone bad.
- Check expiration date: If you buy when it’s past the date, throw it away.
- Look for signs of freezer burn: Do not take popsicles that have freezer burn, because the ice has formed crystals and will not taste good.
- Smell it: An unpleasant smell when you smell it indicates that the ingredients for making ice pop are spoiled, so you shouldn’t consume it.
- Check for discoloration: If you find popsicles that have turned dark, brown, or moldy, this indicates that they are damaged.
- Touch it: You can also touch it to see if the popsicles are fresh. If when you touch it, you feel sticky, slippery or slimy, then obviously the ice-pop has gone bad.
If you find any of these popsicles spoiled signs, then the best way is to throw them away.