Sam Bo Luong is a famous drink recipe in Vietnamese families, it is a treasured treat enjoyed during the hot summer. This drink has existed for a long time and our ancestors always prepared the Sam Bo Luong drink with great affection for their family. After making this drink, the grandmother invited her children and grandchildren to all sit down and enjoy the pleasure of this drink on sunny days.
Behind the deliciousness of this drink, what is very special is the touching experience of preparing Sam Bo Luong with your beloved family. Each family has its own role in preparing this drink. Grandma slowly prepared the dry ingredients, our mother watched and boiled the water, and my sister and I patiently waited for the drink to be ready to be served.
This loving preparation makes it an extraordinary opportunity to enjoy. The deliciousness will increase when all family members enjoy it together.
In this article we will provide the best Sam Bo Luong recipe for you. We will give you what ingredients you have to prepare, tips for making Sam Bo Luong so you can produce the perfect drink.
How To Make Sam Bo Luong
Sam Bo Luong is famous as a unique three-color drink or three-color sweet soup, and it is a traditional Vietnamese dessert. This is a refreshing, nutrient-rich dessert or dessert drink. The name comes from the three main colors of the drink: white, green and black, all representing the foods used in the dessert.
Sam Bo Luong is a delightful treat, especially on hot summer days and is usually served cold.
Sam Bo Luong Ingredients
Making Sam Bo Luong has several stages, so here we will mention specific ingredients for each part of this drink.
Note: The amounts we have listed are only estimates, you can add or subtract according to your wishes.
For the Sam Bo Luong Base:
- 1/2 cup dried longan (you can also use other ingredients according to your taste, please experiment)
- 1/4 cup dried white fungus (snow ear fungus)
- 1/4 cup lotus seeds
- 1/4 cup dried seaweed (usually green seaweed)
- 1/4 cup dried persimmon slices
- 1/4 cup sliced dried lychee (optional)
- 1/4 cup dried tangerine peel (optional)
- 1/4 cup dried red dates
- 1/4 cup barley
- 2 liters of water
For the Sugar Syrup:
One cup of rock sugar, you can adjust the sweetness level according to your taste.
For the Coconut Cream:
- One cup of coconut cream, canned coconut or extracted coconut.
- Instructions for Making Sam Bo Luong
- All dry ingredients are rinsed thoroughly to remove dirt
- Soak dried longan, seaweed, white fungus, lotus seeds, dried persimmon slices, dried lychee (if using), dried tangerine peel, barley, and dried red dates, soaked separately in water for one hour.
Cooking the Sam Bo Luong Base:
- Use a large saucepan, add 2 liters of water and bring to a boil
- Take the dry ingredients that have been soaked, put them in boiling water
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 or 30 minutes until everything is tender. Occasionally stir evenly.
- When the ingredients are cooked, add the rock sugar, stir evenly until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Preparing the Coconut Cream:
– If you use canned coconut milk, stir well until smooth
– However, if you use extracted coconut cream, grate the coconut flesh and hard coconut through a cheesecloth to extract the cream.
Assembling the Sam Bo Luong
- Leave the cooked sam bo luong to cool to room temperature
- Once cold, transfer to the refrigerator, and let it cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until cold.
- To serve, spoon the chilled sam bo luong into serving bowls or glasses.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of coconut cream over the bowl.
- You can also garnish this dessert or sam bo luong drink with some mint leaves, or toasted sesame seeds to add flavor and make the appearance more attractive.
- You can adjust the sweetness, you can add rock sugar as desired. Some people like it sweeter and some people prefer it less sweet. Try tasting the sauce while adding sugar, make sure it suits your taste.
- Texture: If you like a smooth texture, try blending the cooked sam bo luong base before it cools.
- Soaking time: Try soaking dry ingredients until soft, the time may vary, this depends on the freshness and quality of the ingredients.
What to Serve with?
– Coconut chips: These can add sweetness, adding a crunch that contrasts with the soft and tender Sam Bo Luong.
– Toasted sesame seeds: Serve Sam Bo Luong with toasted sesame seeds, this not only provides crunch, but also provides comfort and creates a pleasant dimension of taste.
– Toasted Crushed Peanuts: These crushed peanuts provide a delightful nuttiness, and a delicious, delicious crunch.
– A scoop of ice cream: This dish gives a modern touch when served with a scoop of ice cream. You can add vanilla, coconut, or green tea ice cream.
– Soaked basil seeds: Soaked basil seeds are very popular in Asian desserts, and include Sam Bo Luong.
– Tapioca Pearls (Cooked): This is the same as basil seeds, tapioca pearls when served with this dessert drink. The texture is chewy like jelly and this adds to the elasticity of Sam Bo Luong.
– Fresh Mint Leaves: Adding mint leaves can provide freshness. It tastes cool, aromatic, nutritious and increasingly loved.
– Lychee Fruit: If you are using dried lychees as a dessert, then consider using fresh lychees. Juicy, sweet, lychees are a beautiful tropical fruit that pairs well with desserts.
Final Thoughts: Sam Bo Luong Recipe
This food recipe is delicious and impressive, easy to make, and doesn’t cost anything. As a bonus, this is a nutrient-rich and healthy drink.