For seafood fans, scallops, mussels and clams are very popular dishes. Scallops have a soft texture but are delicious and impressive. For those who have never tried scallops, you will certainly be wondering what do scallops taste like? Previously, we explained the taste of mussels, which taste soft, light and very delicious. Maybe similar to scallops or are they the same? Let’s see here how this shelled sea animal, scallops, tastes.
Scallops have a nutty and sweet taste and have a light salty impression, this shows that they come from the sea or salty waters. This is not pleasant, some people even say that the scallops flesh is similar to the crab or even lobster. Of course, as a seafood lover, you will be curious about the soft and delicious scallops.
Let’s see what scallops look like, hopefully this information can add to your knowledge of this seafood dish.
What Do Scallops Taste Like?
If you’ve ever eaten crab or lobster, maybe that’s what scallops taste like. The taste of scallops is a combination of sweet and savory. So, the taste of scallops is sweet, with a soft and smooth texture and balanced with a slight salty taste.
The taste is also rich and slightly buttery so the taste is delicious, the soft taste is the same or almost the same as other shellfish. For seafood lovers, scallops can be an appetizing and delicious dish. The aroma is not strong so it doesn’t make those who eat it uncomfortable, but it is very light and comfortable to eat. Enjoying scallops at a seafood restaurant certainly provides a unique experience that is very memorable.
Various Types Of Scallops
Scallops come in several varieties and each of them has a unique and special taste and texture.
- Sea Scallops: This is a sea scallops and has a larger shape than other types of scallops, and they are rich. This type is delicious grilled and is often used as an addition to gourmet dishes.
- Bay Scallops: Smaller in size than sea scallops, the texture and taste are softer than the previous type. Bay scallops are delicious as an addition to quick dishes such as frying or grilling.
- Calico Scallops: Calico is small and more colorful. The taste is also different compared to sea scallops or bay scallops. It is sweeter and is usually used as an addition to seafood.
- King Scallops: Why is it called king? The reason is because they are large, king scallops are big and fleshy, they taste sweet and have a spicy accent. Usually it is served in a shell which is shaped like a beautiful fan.
So, there is not just one type of scallops, there are several types with their own flavors and textures. This shows that seafood is very rich, not to mention we are talking about mussels, clams and oysters.
What Do Scallops Compare With?
Scallops are shelled seafood, so we can compare Scallops with several other seafood that also live with their shells, including:
- Crab: Why are they compared to crabs, scallops and crabs have the same taste, they taste sweet and soft even though scallops taste a little spicy.
- Lobster: Lobster is a type of shrimp but is larger with a harder shell. What does lobster taste like? The taste is similar to crab but stronger and of course there are similarities with Scallops.
- Shrimp: This is a soft and sweet seafood, the meat is the same as crab meat, or scientifically it is not called “meat”, unlike land animals which are called “meat”. You can read our article about “Is Shrimp Meat?”. If you compare shrimp with Scallops, Scallops are more buttery.
- Clams and Oysters: Scallops are also compared to their cousins clams and oysters, what do they taste like? Their tastes are similar, have a salty profile, and have a similar sweet impression.
These marine animals have a similar taste but are not the same. All of them have a hard shell or skin that protects their body. This similarity sometimes causes some people to confuse the names.
What Do Scallops Look Like?
Scallops are a type of shellfish whose shape resembles a fan where the shell is jagged like a fan which is usually held by the king’s wife. The shape is also taller compared to mussels, maybe almost the same height as clams, only the clams shell is not fan-shaped.
That’s what scallops look like, sometimes if you buy them at the store, they separate the shell and the scallop meat to maintain freshness. The color of Scallops is cream white, and some of them are found to be slightly pink or orange in color.
Tips on How to Buy Scallops
When you want to buy scallops, look for ones that are firm, plump and look moist because this indicates that the scallops are still fresh. This is specifically for types that have not been separated from the shell. it should also smell fresh, clean and taste like the sea. Don’t buy shellfish that are dry, smell fishy, have a strong rotten odor, because this indicates the shellfish are no longer fresh.
Scallops are varied and available in many shapes and types. There are large ones and small ones, there are sea scallops, bay scallops, king scallops or small ones called calico scallops.
Regarding meat, sea scallops often have meat measuring 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter, while bay scallops are smaller. Even though they differ in size, they are all equally tasty and delicious if cooked properly or cooked by a professional chef.
How To Eat Scallops
Because this is a shelled animal, there are several ways to eat it. If you buy scallops and cook them at home, you have to know how to eat them. Remember, don’t eat the shell!
Seared: This is the method generally used to enjoy Scallops, searing them in a hot frying pan with butter and oil, this will make the outside crispy and delicious and the inside tender and juicy. If you don’t understand, please search on Google.
Grilled: Grilling Scallops is another relish of this seafood. If skewered like satay, this is very delicious, you can enjoy it with kebabs with the addition of various vegetables.
FAQs: What do Scallops Taste Like?
Scallops are a delightful seafood, they taste slightly spicy, lightly sweet, and slightly salty, and they are not fishy or fishy like most seafood. It has a delicious taste, soft texture and it tastes like lobster and crab.
Do scallops taste similar to shrimp or lobster?
Yes, it tastes similar to shrimp and lobster but with its own character and characteristics. The taste is soft, buttery, and similar to shrimp. It also seems mildly spicy and lightly salty.
How to cook scallops?
The key to cooking scallops is not to overcook or cook for too long because it can cause them to become chewy. Cook only until opaque so that the taste remains delicious and the texture is soft. This applies to all types of cooking, whether roasting, frying or grilling.
What is the texture of cooked scallops?
The texture of cooked scallops becomes soft and slightly tough. When touched it should feel springy, and when eaten it should feel soft and fresh and not chewy or hard.
How to tell if scallops are fresh?
Fresh scallops are characterized by being moist but not wet, they should smell oceanic and clean. The color should be white, reddish white, yellow orange, and not smell fishy or slimy.
So, fishy-smelling, slimy scallops are most likely no longer fresh.